10) Tradition! Camp Haverim provides our children with a safe and exciting summer camp experience in a Jewish environment. Camp Haverim welcomes parent input, encourages leadership development in older campers, and fosters growth and learning in younger campers… truly the community’s camp!
9) Location, location, location! Camp Haverim is held on the beautiful grounds of Cate School. The campus is located on a 150-acre mesa between the Santa Ynez Mountains and the Pacific Ocean and is one of the most beautiful locations in Santa Barbara County. Cate School’s grounds feature tennis courts, an athletic field, swimming pool, and other recreational facilities.
8) Camp Haverim hires local talent–our own teenagers–as counselors, and most of the staff live and work in Santa Barbara yearround. As our younger campers grow to become CITs, our CITs in turn become Junior Counselors. And JCs from past summers return home from college to become Senior Counselors.
7) A truly safe place for our kids! Our children’s safety is our number one concern, and the Camp Haverim staff are proud of their track record of 100% safety over the past ten years of operating Camp Mahane Halom and Camp Haverim.
6) So much fun, and so much to do! Camp Haverim offers many activities designed to meet our children’s diverse interests and to encourage learning and growth, activities such as art, music, journalism, drama, Israeli folk dance, Maccabia Games, talent shows, the ever-popular daily swimming, and a full array of sports including soccer, softball, gaga, basketball, and touch football.
5) Adventure! The bi-weekly field trips to favorite spots like the Ventura Aquatic Center are just plain fun for kids of all ages! And 7th and 8th graders enjoy a series of off-site activities designed just for them.
4) Exploring Judaism! Our kids love the Jewish theme days like Israel Day, Nature Day, and Tzedakah Day, when they get to explore Jewish beliefs and traditions hands-on. Their team spirit thrives through athletic pursuits in the Maccabia Games.
3) Shabbat with our own rabbis! Camp Haverim creates the beauty of Shabbat in the out-of-doors with visits from our local rabbis and cantors, and the hills ring with the singing of our children.
2) Preserving our Jewish Heritage! Jewish camps are vital in continuing Jewish values and tradition in the United States. As parents, many of us have warm memories of our own Jewish camping experiences. On Parents’ Day, we love seeing our children proud of being Jews!
1) Haverim! Haverim means friends. Camp Haverim is built on a circle of friendship. It starts with the familiar old friends and grows as new families join us for an exciting summer in a safe, healthy, nurturing, and fun setting!